Sunday, November 27, 2005

ssh problem solved

I actually can't belive it yet.. i solved my ssh problem which was givin me some sleepless nights since april this year.

I have a debian sarge running with a chroot environment (debian etch). In etch i was not able to get ssh running after an update. It was always saying: Server was not able to allocate pty...

Now i found my mistake.. somehow the mount option was deleted and so it was never able to activate the pts..

Here is what was missing:
mount -t devpts devpts /chroot/dev/pts

Where chroot is the Directory to your chroot System. Maybe there are also some people having problems with this..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chef! I had exactly the same issue on "new etch", thanks that you found the solutation I solved it in seconds (was just a matter of googling). Heh, the world is small, isn't she?

I put it into the init.d/new_etch script to mount them before starting runlevel 2 on the chroot.

Unknown said...

Man, I love your blog and in particular this post :) I had the same issue again today .. guess what, I've had no clue on what it was exactly technically, but I remembered you blogging about it ..

So I guess this is the first time ever I'm reading any post blog on the web *twice*, congratulations :)